Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Snorkeling, Volcanoes, Tattoos and More!


Hello everyone! Only two more days here at Nu'uuli Voc-Tech High School! We move to our placements on Friday! I have no idea what my wifi situation will be like once I am in my new village. Here at Voc-Tech we have been spoiled with pretty consistent wifi in the building where we have our classes, which is right next to where we are staying! I know that I will not have wifi at my house but I am hoping I will at my school. I'll post an update as soon as I find wifi somewhere! 

In the mean time... here are some interesting things I have observed/learned during the two and half weeks I have been here. I will also post some photos of my past couple snorkeling/swimming adventures!


11 things that I have observed/learned:

  1. Samoans bury their dead in their own yards. Walking down the street you will see huge tombs and tombstones in front of everyone’s houses and marts. All of the land on the island is owned by the people, so burying family members on your own land forever marks it as your families land.
  2. Food plays an important role in Samoan culture and must be respected. You can only eat and drink while sitting down. It is culturally inappropriate to even be drinking water while your walking down the road. You'd be surprised how difficult this rule is to follow. 
  3.  Dogs are EVERYWHERE. Most will ignore you, but you always have to be on guard because some are quite mean and will chase and bite you. If a dog is chasing you, you have to pick up a rock (or at least pretend to) and throw it at the dog yelling SHH HALU. They particularly like to chase runners and bikers.
  4. When Samoans walk or drive by someone they say “bye” instead of “hi”. 
  5.  I am living on a "resting" volcano. The last volcanic eruption occurred in 1905. Because it is a volcano, this island will someday sink back into the ocean (but not for a few more million years)!
  6.  The island is moving westward (towards China) about 3 inches per year! 
  7.  Besides the animals that are considered “pests” such as dogs, cats, rats, etc., the only mammals on the island are fruit bats. These bats are huge, with a 3-foot wingspan, so we like to joke that they are pterodactyls.
  8.  EVERYONE here has tattoos. It started off as a cultural tradition for chiefs but has become something that everyone does. Definitely considering getting a Samoan tattoo before I leave (sorry Mom and Dad). 
  9. It is rude to walk or cross in front of someone. You must always try and walk behind someone. If you have to pass in front of them, you must bow your head and make yourself lower than the person you are crossing. 
  10. I've come to the conclusion that ALL Samoans can sing. Everyone single Samoan that I've heard sing is amazing at it! Especially at church. Over half the church services that I've been too consisted of singing and it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. Every man, women, and child could sing a perfect four-part harmony without giving it a second thought. 
  11. Homosexuality, because of the strong christian faith that surrounds Samoan culture, is generally not very excepted here. However there are three recognized genders in Samoa: men, women, and fa'afafine. A fa'afafine is a person who is biologically a male, but who has taken on the style, demeanor, sometimes body, and work of a woman. Although considered female, these fa'afafine are not considered.

Some swimming and snorkeling adventures: (click on images to make them full size) 




















No comments:

Post a Comment