Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Teaching Level 2 and Paddling Team!

Talofa!
I hope everyone at home is well! Things here in AmSam are going great! On the weekdays I am always very busy with school and paddling, and on the weekends I try keep busy by going swimming, hiking, and hanging out with my friends. Teaching so far has been a challenge and a learning process. As I said before I am the second grade ELA teacher at Matafao Elementary. There are four different 2nd grade classes (it is called “level 2” here) at Matafao. I go around to all the level 2 classrooms and teach their ELA classes. English Language Arts is very broad, but for the most part I teach reading, writing, grammar, phonics, spelling and vocabulary. Although it is 2nd grade, my students are mainly all at a kindergarten learning level. This is a struggle because I do not speak Samoan and many of my students barely speak English. Although a challenge, I feel that both my students and myself are learning from each other and improving everyday! They will have their first big test on Friday, so we shall see how that goes!

Behavior is also a huge problem here. Corporeal punishment, although technically illegal, happens a lot here. I haven’t witnessed anything more than a tug of the ear, a slap on the hand, or an occasional slap of the face, but even so it is hard to see. Hitting as a form of punishment is so ingrained into the culture that it is perfectly accepted and expected here!  I’m already getting quite used to seeing it. The problem is, “sasa” (The samoan word for this type of reprimand) is the only type of punishment the students are used to. Therefore because I do not “sasa” my students they do not always respect my authority and they have trouble paying attention. They know by know that I am not going to hit them… so why should they listen to me? Although very frustrating I am seeing some improvement. After three and a half weeks my students are definitely starting to listen more and respect me more as their teacher! Thank goodness.

On a more positive note… Although it’s only been three weeks I can confidently say that I love my students and they love me. Besides some behavior problems and the fact that some of my kids don’t even know the English alphabet, they are really are great kids!! Although their classroom behavior is out of control, they can also be extremely polite and helpful. Yes they will talk when I am trying to teach, hit and fight with each other, and chase each other at top speed in the classroom while doing cartwheels…But they also always offer me their chairs or their snacks. They constantly sweep and clean the classroom without being asked. They will organize all the papers on my desk into neat little piles, or bring my pen and my grade book to me before I am even aware that I left it somewhere. Whenever I see any of my students (at school or around the island) they will run up and hug me, yelling HI MISS MAGGIE! They are very curious and ask me hundreds of questions about my life, and they love to make me little notes with hearts that say, “I love Miss Maggie!” Although a huge challenge, I think that it is going to be a great school year and I am excited to see how much my students are going to learn and grow as the year goes on.

Here are some pictures of my school and classrooms!
Matafao Elementary School
Matafao Elementary School
Matafao Elementary School
Matafaou Elementary School
What I see on my walk to school:)
My walk to school!
My walk to school!
My walk to school (also a public beach right by my house)
What else have I been up to? Well let’s see…Since I last blogged I have explored many more beaches, went to a Samoan style BBQ, hiked a mountain, and joined a paddling team!

I’m surrounded by ocean, but ever since school has started, Saturdays are the only time I ever have time to enjoy the water (Sundays we are not allowed to swim). So… I joined a paddling team! I am officially a member of the American Samoa Association of Paddling (ASAP). Every Tuesday and Thursday (and eventually Saturday mornings) I have paddling practice. It is fantastic. I really love it! Each boat (I think they are called outrigger canoes) holds six people. Each person on the boat has a different role/job! There are all sorts of terminology and lingo that I am still in the process of learning, but I finally have the basics down. It involves synchronization, team work, yelling different commands, knowing different commands, holding the paddle in a very specific way, watching the person in seat one, listening to the steer, etc. Paddling is very different than anything I’ve ever done before, but so far I love it. I’m excited to become more involved with the team and MAYBE even get to compete. Joining the team also has been a great way to meet locals and learn more Samoan. Everyone one on the team has been very nice and welcoming! A couple weeks ago the team held a fundraiser, which involved amazing food, drinks, a live band and a raffle!

I am about to leave school for the day… aka no more wifi! So the rest of this blog will be picture updates! 
Again, I hope everyone at home is well! I miss you all so much! While you are transitioning into fall… it is quickly getting hotter and more humid here.

ALSO! If you click on the WISH LIST tab above I have finally wrote down my address!!!!  SEND ME LETTERS or CARE PACKAGES and you will make my day (and will get a shout out in my blog of course). 

Sushi our neighbors cat who likes to hang in our house:)
Sushi again!
My bedroom!
Our kitchen!
Our living room!
Village sign! Gataivai
Road to my house.
Road to my house!
My house!
My house again! (The white house is our landlords house.)
View from the my door.
Me in my Puletasi
Another view of my room (notice my suitcase has been made into a bedside table).
The road to my house (usually always full of kids playing volleyball)
 
I am snap happy... and have about a million more pictures, so this week may be a double blog week! Tomorrow I will try to make another post with MORE pictures of the past couple weeks here! :)


3 comments:

  1. WOWOWOW you're the most adventurous, kind-hearted, most smartest and most beautifulest person I know. You're my idol. Don't come home, it's boring here and we all wish we were in American Samoa with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your blog mentioned on a WorldTeach Facebook. I lived in the house you're living in now when I was a volunteer in 2013-14, except it used to be pinkish. We called it the Samoan Barbie Beach House. The landlords are awesome. You really lucked out there. Enjoy your year!

    ReplyDelete